The International Snow Leopard & Ecosystem Forum will bring together heads and representatives of the Governments of the twelve snow leopard range countries as well as of other interested nations with leaders from international institutions, donor agencies, conservation organizations, and scientific institutions.
This high-level event aims to further strengthen the range countries’ ongoing effort to protect the snow leopard, and to galvanize international support for their ambitious plan of securing 20 snow leopard landscapes by the year 2020.
- Forum as a platform of partnership and policy intervention: The Forum will allow leaders of the 12 snow leopard range countries as well as the international community to work together and achieve tangible progress in their effort to protect and conserve the snow leopard and its mountain ecosystems.
- The Forum as an investment opportunity: The Forum will explore several approaches to improve financing mechanisms including regional and national trust funds, investment funds, and other emerging tools. Donor agencies, governments, corporations and international financial institutions will find an excellent forum to explore investment opportunities in sustainable forestry and agriculture, ecotourism, climate adaptation, and clean energy (micro hydro, solar). Successful green investment models can be showcased and best practices on integration public policy will be highlighted. This summit can be the platform of convergence and an opportunity to move the green investment agenda forward with the support of Global leaders and heads of Governments.
- Forum as a communication platform: The event will provide an opportunity to raise public awareness for the urgent threats that the snow leopard faces. The Forum will provide a unique opportunity of outreach to millions of people across the world through creative communication tools.
- Forum as an exhibition area: The Forum will also provide a platform to international organizations, associations and other institutions to showcase successful research and conservation initiatives, green technologies and green investment models and opportunities.
Organizers of the Forum
- The Office of the President of the Kyrgyz Republic
- The Office of the Prime-minister of the Kyrgyz Republic
- Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Kyrgyz Republic
- State Agency on Environment Protection and Forestry under the Government of the Kyrgyz Republic
- Global Environment Facility (GEF)
- Nature and Biodiversity Conservation Union (NABU)
- Snow Leopard Trust (SLT)
- United Nations Development Programme (UNDP)
- United States Agency for International Development (USAID)
- World Wide Fund for Nature (WWF)